London Electricity Board


In 1948, following the nationalisation of Britain’s electricity supply, the London Electricity Board was formed and in the late 1950s, the former LEB headquarters were constructed.

For 42 years LEB existed as a public sector utility company responsible for London’s electricity generation and infrastructure maintenance.

In 1990 LEB, along with Britain’s electricity supply, was privatised and their assets sold. Following this, the building was used as Council offices, but it is now unoccupied. The site is underutilised and as a vacant brownfield site, is in need of redevelopment.

 

  Understanding the site

Understanding the site

  Large mass set back from 3-4 storey shop front

Large mass set back from 3-4 storey shop front

  Uncomfortable and underused interface with public realm

Uncomfortable and underused interface with public realm

  The interior of the building is dilapidated

The interior of the building is dilapidated

  Site from the rear - hard surface, rundown buildings and closed off arches

Site from the rear - hard surface, rundown buildings and closed off arches